I have a few days off work – So today I decided to try and make a package, knowing full well it wouldn’t work first time. However, I had no idea the extent of how broken the build was.

Blueprint Enums and Structs are an incredible feature to have that make using blueprints exponentially easier – however, the caveat to that is they are more unstable then Donald Trumps hands when he’s drinking a glass of water.

All of my errors were to do with broken structs. I would say over half (around ~25) were broken – Just classed as an ‘unknown structure’ when trying to package the build.

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: LogProperty: Error: FStructProperty::Serialize Loading: Property 'StructProperty /Game/Blueprints/Data/Interfaces/BPI_Resources.BPI_Resources_C:BPI_ReserveResources:Resources'. Unknown structure.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: LogProperty: Error: FStructProperty::Serialize Loading: Property 'StructProperty /Game/HUD/Widgets/InWorld/WGT_InWorld_Char.WGT_InWorld_Char_C:SettlerData'. Unknown structure.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: LogProperty: Error: FStructProperty::Serialize Loading: Property 'StructProperty /Game/HUD/Widgets/InWorld/WGT_InWorld_Char.WGT_InWorld_Char_C:DataUpdated:Updated Data'. Unknown structure.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: LogProperty: Error: FStructProperty::Serialize Loading: Property 'StructProperty /Game/Blueprints/Data/Interfaces/BPI_Buildings.BPI_Buildings_C:BPI_BuildingSiteConstructBuilding:Data'. Unknown structure.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: LogProperty: Error: FStructProperty::Serialize Loading: Property 'StructProperty /Game/Blueprints/Data/Interfaces/BPI_CachedData.BPI_CachedData_C:BPI_RequestCachedPropData:Prop Data'. Unknown structure.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: LogProperty: Error: FStructProperty::Serialize Loading: Property 'StructProperty

After scouring the internet – It seems the only solution, and the one that worked for me, was to rename the struct. Doing this fixed all my struct issues, but now I was left without another issue that seems to have appeared in UE4.26 – And there seemed to be no way to even identify what the problem is without installing visual studio and the editor symbols. After doing so, and following this guide: (13) IsShortPackageName(Path) error while packaging. : unrealengine (reddit.com) – I managed to track down 3 variables that were broken, although they worked fine inside the editor. Deleting these and adding new ones was the final hurdle I had to cross before I could finally build my package

IT’S ALIVE!

But wait…There’s more.

Just as I was on the finish line and loading up the package, I got another crash – This one was caused by using GPU Simulation in a Niagara particle. I’m pretty surprised this one is here because I am on 4.26 and this bug seems to have been around for at least 3 versions of the editor. Changing the Niagara system to be CPU simulated fixed the issue, but it’s going to cause a dip in performance inside the game.

So now I finally have a build This is a big confidence boost for me because now I know the game will package, and I don’t have this daunting cloud in front of me that I have to cross.

But, another unexpected bonus is by just running the game from a package, everything just seems more…real. It feels like a real game. It feels like the end is in sight.

I am definitely excited for the future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.